With the progress of digital technology, storytelling has become pretty different. The World Press Photo Digital Storytelling Contest is for the individuals that strive hard to produce a stunning form of visual journalism. It is open for the digital storytellers, visual journalists, producers, and entry coordinators, so that they may come up and submit their work.
Contest Important Dates
- Entries open: 1 December 2020, 12.00 noon CET.
- Entries close: 12 January 2021, 12 noon CET.
- Nominees announced: 10 March 2021
- Winners announced: 15 April 2021
There will be three nominees in the given three categories will be invited to be a part of the World Press Photo Festival. A representative from each of the teams would have a chance to fly to Amsterdam where the travel and logging expenses would all be covered by the World Press Photo Foundation. In each category, the nominees will receive a diploma along with the Golden Eye Award which is presented to the individuals at the time of annual Awards Show.
Details About Work Categories
The Digital Storytelling Contest has three primary categories labelled as the interactive, long, and short.
The Interactive will have a visual story or a project which would be something other than a video. However, it will communicate to the user with the design and photography to create an interesting and immersive experience for the users. Your project may contain but isn’t limited to animation, graphics, illustrations, sound, or text, where photography or film is must.
Then you have the long category where a single linear narrative of a series of linear narrative produced on a particular topic and directed at web, with a maximum runtime of 30 minutes, can be submitted. The work should include photography and/or film while the other elements may be animation, graphics, illustrations, sound or text.
And lastly, you have the short single linear narrative which should be a video for the web that lasts for 10 minutes or less. Similar to the above two, photography and/or film is must and other elements such as animation, graphics, sound, and text may vary.
Rules for Entering the Digital Storytelling Contest
In order to be a part of the contest, you have to satisfy a few requirements and abide by the rules.
- The contest is open for the entries that include work of a professional visual journalist. The journalist should have a valid proof of professional status and any of the following documents will count as a proof (but may not be limited to these only):
- Letter of reference (must be from 2019 or 2020) from either a photo agency, photo editor, media organization, production company, or a publication.
- Membership document from a known press or a photography or film association that carries professional individuals.
- A publication in 2019 or 2020 by a media organization or publication in either print or video format where your name is visible in credits.
- Membership Card of journalism union.
- Press card.
- Submitted under the name of a visual journalist, you are required to have your name in the list of author(s).
- You should either be a copyright holder or authorized by the copyright holder to submit the material for entering the contest.
- In case that agents or representatives are entering the contest on behalf of teams, by submitting the production material, each member agrees to the rules and regulations and fulfills them.
- Regardless of the category, the entry should be produced or first pulished in 2020.
- The entries should have contact information of the visual journalist and the contact person of the production team.
- Whenever you are submitting your work, make sure that the title, synopsis, and production team name, all is listed clearly.
- English language audio or text is necessary or else you should subtitle the work in English.
- The entries should be submitted through official contest platform because entries by any other means won’t be facilitated.
- All the entries you are providing should be available over the internet and the URLs to production are to be provided along your submissions.
- You are required to submit your entry before the deadline i.e. 12 January 2021 at 12.00 (noon) Central European Time in order to participate in the 2021 Digital Storytelling Contest
- Once your entry goes through the screening panel and reaches the judging stage, the producer is required to give a high resolution production file as well as promotional material. It should have at least 10 screenshots or stills along with a trailer of not more than a minute.
- BE CAREFUL! The copyright holders have the right to claim their work. However, the ones which are selected as nominees would automatically grant the World Press Photo Foundation unlimited non-exclusive use of the promotional material in their activities which include social media, online media, and print media among other media, in relation to the contest, the exhibition, the yearbook, the public archive, and all promotional and educational activities for and under the auspices of the World Press Photo Foundation, without any remuneration being due. Also, the nominees will be finalized and contacted before the announcement, on 10 March 2020, and would be asked to provide an offline version of the production files.
- Also, considering the above activities, the copyright holders represent and warrant that the submission of this material won’t breach any law. Also, no third party will further be eligible to claim or object regarding the rights which you will automatically grant to the World Press Photo Foundation for the use of this material. Copyright holders will hold the Foundation harmless of any claims which might be made by any third party.
- The Dutch Law will take care of all the disputes and proceedings that may arise or relate to the Entry Rules.
- The competent court of Amsterdam will take care of the proceedings and will decide upon any dispute that relates to the Entry Rules.
- The conditions regarding entry rules would bind you to obey and the World Press Photo Foundation carries the right to eliminate or not consider any entry for its own discretion.
Please be careful about the rules and regulations when you are entering the contest. Don’t forget to check the details on their website. The helpful URLs are given below:
[button color=”blue” size=”big” link=”https://www.worldpressphoto.org/activities/digital-storytelling-contest” icon=”” target=”false”]Apply Here[/button]